Sweet dishes are something that most of us avoid as much as we can in order to not gain weight. In doing so, we sometimes end up being a bit too strict on ourselves. Hence, it is essential that every once in a while, we take a break and treat ourselves with something nice. However, that something doesn’t necessarily have to be junk or unhealthy; you can treat yourself by preparing banana chessmen pudding which is delicious and healthy at the same time!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butter cookies (preferably Pepperidge Farms Chessman Cookies) : 2 containers
- Milk: 2 cups (Full)
- Vanilla Pudding: 1 package (3.4oz) or Hershey’s White Chocolate Pudding: instant
- Cream Cheese: 1 pack (softened)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: 1 pack (14oz, Carnation or Borden Eagle Brand)
- Cool Whip: 1 container (14oz)
- Bananas: 6-8 (slightly ripened)
- Whipped Topping (Optional)
You May Also Like:
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST
How to make homemade banana pudding
- Take a baking dish or a casserole (preferably of size: 13*9*2 inch). Make a bottom layer with 1 pack of cookies.
- Now take a separate bowl, add milk and pudding mix in it and blend it nicely. Using an electronic hand mixer will make job easier. Make sure to blend it until the batter is completely thickened.
- Keep that bowl aside and take another container. In it, add the softened cream cheese and the condensed milk. Make sure to mix it properly until you can feel the smoothness and creaminess of the mixture. (again, blending with an electronic hand mixer is recommended)
- Now pour in the cool whip into the cream cheese mixture and make sure that the mixture completely covers the whip.
- Take both the mixtures and combine them while mixing it appropriately. Bix it until completely blended.
- Here comes the healthy part; take the bananas and finely slice them into pieces (disc shape).
- Coming back to the dish, now prepare a layer of banana slices on top of the cookies.
- Get prepared for the third utterly delicious layer of pudding and cream cheese on top of bananas. Do keep in mind the layer should be evenly spread.
- To top it off, we end from where we started; add a last final layer of cookies on top of the mixture and refrigerate the pudding for some time (until it is ready to be served)
- Yes, that is it! Your pudding is ready to be served, enjoy!
The refrigerating part is very important, so give it time. This is because the longer you refrigerate the pudding, the softer the cookies will get. This will enhance the taste in the final outcome.
Per serving can contain 1-2 cookies, as the desert is a heavy one. However, it can be increased depending upon who it is being served to. For example, if you are on a diet and eating this as a part of your cheat day, one or two cookies should be fine. But if the pudding is served to kids or someone who is not really concerned about the weight, can have more than that.
As part of an optional step, you can top the pudding with whipped topping and 2 slices of bananas as well.
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen.